After hearing that GCC had been ported over to the iPod Touch/iPhone, I was intrigued. GCC has always been my favourite compiler, and I think its pretty neat to have it installed on your iPhone/iPod Touch. I just finished setting it up on my touch and I will admit, its pretty cool. There’s not a whole lot of information about this on the web, it looks like there only a handful of people interested in this. Its not the most practical thing, but it is still nice to have. I guess if you wanted to get serious, you would simply cross compile all of your code. I will also mention that it has MAJOR issues. Unfortunately it does not even include the standard iostream file, for c++ programming. Pretty useless, but that can be simply installed later. For those of you who want to install GCC, it can be installed through Cydia. Make sure you have your settings set to “developer”, or you will not be able to find it in Cydia, the package name is “GNU C Compiler”. Once you search it (it can be found under “Development”) you will find that it cannot be installed. It depends on “libgcc” which cannot be found in Cydia. My understanding is that since the package is not incomplete and buggy, libgcc has been removed to discourage you from installing it. In order to install all the prerequisites for GCC, libgcc must be installed. Fortunately, a libgcc deb package has been created for this very propose! It is called “fake libgcc”. I thought I would have difficulty finding a libgcc deb file that has been ported to the iPhone, but I did (Google is the best!). Just do a quick search. After you have the file, simply SSH into your device. Upload the deb file to the root directory and run dpkg. Still in the root directory, run dkpg -i fake-libgcc_1.0_iphoneos-arm.deb (or whatever your particular libgcc file name happens to be). That’s it. You can now install GCC right through Cydia. Like I said before, the package does not include the standard iostream library. I am trying to figure that out, as you can’t program in C++ without it, obviously. I have not tried compiling a C program yet, but I doubt stdio.h is included either. If it does I don’t imagine it works. Like I said before, it appears to be VERY buggy. It doubt installing the headers will be very difficult, I imagine you simply download the header and SSH it to the appropriate location. Although, I’m not quite sure where that location might be… Hopefully I can get the iostream headers to work, because I think this is pretty neat!
Google this error, just try it. You will come up with an abundance of results. Most of them include “reformat your iPod, reinstall iTunes, restart your computer, switch USB ports” blah blah blah. I find these answers to be quite unsatisfactory actually. This error involves some sort of problem during syncing, where it becomes unable to sync for some reason. This appears to be a fairly common problem, however there doesn’t seem to be any solid answers, or even specific information on this problem. Everyone seems to simply have a “reinstall iTunes” answer. I encountered this problem last night, I went to sync and this error suddenly popped up. It seems like other people have had this error just pop out of nowhere as well. While I can’t find any solid information on what causes this, I think it has to do with volume adjustments. That’s the last change I did before syncing so its possible that messed it up. It could be something else, but I can’t see what. It DOES seem however, that this problem can be fixed by simply selecting >> device >> music >> uncheck “sync music” >> then sync >> then recheck “sync music” >> and then sync again. As a side note, when you experience this problem, the sync will not complete. When I went to select a song I wanted to play, it would skip 3 songs ahead. It seems strange that apparently the sync did not work, but obviously something did go change on the device itself. Not sure why, but it did. Anyway, it seems as though this problem is solved. If you have experienced this, or want to add something, feel free to leave a comment below.
Up until tonight, my iPod Touch, was running OS 3.0. I was unfortunately forced to upgrade to 3.1.3 to install the WordPress mobile blogging app (totally worth it, but that’s another story). I simple upgraded to the newest OS version using the handy iTunes (I loath that program more than anything) update manager. The update was itself was smooth and went without a hitch. Just when I thought everything was complete, and I rebooted my iPod and saw what a bloody mess I had caused. The four icon menu was missing its four icons, took up more than one third of the screen and was all pixelated and flashing. Excellent. I thought everything “just worked” with Apple products. Apparently not. I was forced to reformat the machine, and that appeared to solve my menu problem. However, after restoring from a backup, the menu went back to its non-existent, flashing state. So after restoring yet again, it was simply a matter of re-downloading and reinstalling my apps again. When I went to “sync” the iPod however, the apps did not install. Not even an ATTEMPT to install. After a few curses and a my blood pressure raising a few points, I finally solved my app installation (or lack of) problem. The “sync all apps” box was not checked under the apps section of “my iPod”. After ticking it off, the apps installed without any issues. Not sure what the problem with the menu was all about, but it seems to be fixed. I am still trying to figure out how this box became unchecked, but it still did never the less. I guess the moral of the story is when you have no other ideas, check all your settings stuff. You never know when a simple tick box somehow became unchecked!